I don’t often straighten or curl my hair,
but when I do, I make sure I am using protection.
Let me throw at you some facts about heat-damage that will surely scare the hell out of your curling iron.
- Heat causes the hair to dry out and, in most cases, it can burn away the follicle and cause severe trauma to the hair.
- After the effects of a perfectly styled hair wear off, it can become rough, fragile, more frizzy, chipped and damaged at the ends.
- To obtain desired results, heat styling devices must reach temperatures above boiling point, causing rapid water loss and dehydration.
Prevent damage by using heat protectants that maximize and seal moisture. Look for these ingredients when choosing your products:
- Panthenol, and Phytantriol = humectants that add more water to the hair.
- Botanical oils such as grapeseed oil, olive oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, and avocado oil = these will seal the water inside the cortex.
In order for these oils to work as protectants, we recommend you use your tools at a lower temperature than 150ºC.
Use a light spray or serum for fine hair, and cream or lotion protectants for thicker hair types.