How does hair grow?
Hair growth follows a natural cycle composed of four stages: anagen, catagen, telogen, and exogen. There are multiple factors that can affect the efficiency of this cycle, some positively and some negatively. The follicles underneath the scalp are nurtured by the blood vessels beneath them, so there are certain things we can do to stimulate the area and promote hair growth.
Cher, Los Angeles, CA, 1973 by Norman Seeff
5 Tips to Grow Your Hair
- Wash your hair less frequently. How often do you wash your hair? The natural oils that your body produces nourish the strands and are very important for overall hair health and growth. Be aware that you may be stripping those oils away by washing your hair too often. Try to aim for a once-a-week washing routine.
- Beauty and health start from the inside. Hair growth starts from within. Keep a balanced diet that provides all the necessary nutrients: Protein strengthens the structure because hair’s composition is mainly made out of a protein called Keratin that can also be found in skin and nails. Zinc also plays an important role in hair growth and repair because it keeps the oil glands around the follicles working properly. Finally, hair benefits from Biotin or vitamin H because it improves keratin’s infrastructure. (Healthline.com, 2017)
- Give yourself an inverted massage. If you’ve never heard of these you’re in for a treat. Turn your head down when you shampoo your hair and massage with the tips of your fingers. Blood will go up to your head as you massage and will stimulate circulation in the scalp area. Do this every time you cleanse your hair to improve blood circulation and help your hair grow faster.
- Follow your Hair Routine. An important part of hair growth is not having to trim it too often. Balancing the right amount of water, oil, and protein that your hair needs will maintain the health of the strands and ends without having to cut them every so often. Complete this test to receive your customized Hair Routine and to know which components your hair needs to stay healthy.
- Rest! Sleep is essential for our body and that includes the scalp and strands as well. Recharge and recover with a full 7-8 hours of sleep every night. We recommend using a silk pillow cover to avoid getting the strands damaged while you’re dreaming.
Each of these points is related to having a healthy lifestyle and conscious routines. Discover how self-care improves your hair’s health and appearance, and follow these tips to grow your hair faster.